FutureSight Forums

Index » Tech help » Changing Forum Systems (Atom feed)

Pages: 1

#1: 05 Apr 2015 18:22

offline Krett13

I wanna trick someone, so if I wanted to move from FluxBB to whatever your forum thing is called, how would I do that?

Also, I got into XPLR, so I've decided to let you have your way on the AF Wiki.

#2: 06 Apr 2015 03:37

offline Jacob

Administrator

How is moving a forum to FutureBB "tricking someone"...? Anyway, there are plans in the works to create a converter, but nothing exists yet.

What is XPLR?

Jacob G.
Executive director and co-head developer

#3: 08 Apr 2015 16:59

offline Krett13

Jacob wrote
How is moving a forum to FutureBB "tricking someone"...? Anyway, there are plans in the works to create a converter, but nothing exists yet.

What is XPLR?

Ah never mind, I just started with FBB anyways.

XPLR is basically the same thing as what we had doing b4, cept for I put the other person in a diff position because I had learned my lesson.

And if you are wondering, no, FluxBB doesn't use the same system. Unless when you install FluxBB, you tell it to use "futurebb_" as its database prefix.

#4: 09 Apr 2015 00:47

offline Jacob

Administrator

Krett13 wrote

Jacob wrote

What is XPLR?

XPLR is basically the same thing as what we had doing b4, cept for I put the other person in a diff position because I had learned my lesson.

And if you are wondering, no, FluxBB doesn't use the same system. Unless when you install FluxBB, you tell it to use "futurebb_" as its database prefix.

Even if they have the same database prefix, they have different structures.

Jacob G.

#5: 09 Apr 2015 03:28

offline Krett13

Jacob wrote

Krett13 wrote

Jacob wrote

What is XPLR?

Even if they have the same database prefix, they have different structures.

How about "futurestructures_" :P

#6: 04 Dec 2015 14:49

offline Krett12

I just realized something. THESE forums used to run FluxBB so how did you merge them?

#7: 04 Dec 2015 15:18

offline Jacob

Administrator

Krett12 wrote
I just realized something. THESE forums used to run FluxBB so how did you merge them?

I wrote a rudimentary script to move the topic/post structure over. Since the database size was pretty small, I was actually able to check each post individually to make sure they all transferred properly.

Jacob G.

#8: 05 Dec 2015 14:36

offline Krett12

May I have this "rudimentary script" please?

#9: 05 Dec 2015 15:09

offline Jacob

Administrator

Krett12 wrote
May I have this "rudimentary script" please?

The script required the use of a special API that I integrated into the FST website that processed the information from FluxBB. The script downloaded the necessary information (users, topics, posts, etc.) and then actually inserted it into a local mirror of the website that I had on my computer (when I made the FutureBB-integrated website live, I just copied the database over using the import/export utilities). The script only worked for the exact setup that we had before and likely won't work for other setups.

Jacob G.

#10: 06 Dec 2015 03:26

offline Krett12

oh :(

#11: 06 Dec 2015 19:28

offline Krett12

Also, I just realized that the situation on Scratch was different--you wanted to review every request. I want something different. ALL I want is to confirm that they are the same person. Maybe add some parameters to the account creation interface? I don't know. Got any ideas, Brain Boy? Also, can I call you Brain Boy? (I know you're like 17 but whatever)

#12: 07 Dec 2015 06:50

offline Jacob

Administrator

Krett12 wrote
Also, I just realized that the situation on Scratch was different--you wanted to review every request. I want something different. ALL I want is to confirm that they are the same person. Maybe add some parameters to the account creation interface? I don't know. Got any ideas, Brain Boy? Also, can I call you Brain Boy? (I know you're like 17 but whatever)

In that case, you can just use sessions or any of the other methods I mentioned to transfer the user's username over into MediaWiki, and when the user registers, just automatically remove the username field and when the form is submitted, just treat it as if the username field had the user's forum username.

Jacob G.

#13: 07 Dec 2015 08:09 - Edited

offline Krett12

I'd rather not toy with the core software--is there an already existing extension that modifies that page?

Edit: Will this work? https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:NewSignupPage

#14: 07 Dec 2015 10:35

offline Jacob

Administrator

Krett12 wrote
I'd rather not toy with the core software--is there an already existing extension that modifies that page?

Edit: Will this work? https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:NewSignupPage

If you can modify it to check the user information appropriately, then yes, it would work.

Jacob G.

#15: 07 Dec 2015 13:25

offline Krett12

Ok.

Index » Tech help » Changing Forum Systems (Atom feed)

Pages: 1

Embed topic (Show)