FutureSight Forums

Index » Suggestions » Can I have the code to the whole website? (Atom feed)

Pages: 1

#1: 09 Feb 2016 14:41

offline Krett12

(Except the .exe files) just in one big .ZIP plz!

#2: 10 Feb 2016 01:54

offline Jacob

Administrator

Unfortunately, we're not releasing the source code for this website. However, what I can tell you that we used the Transit theme by Templated, a similar architecture to Mod Share, and that FutureBB is integrated with the rest of the site.

Jacob G.
Executive director and co-head developer

#3: 10 Feb 2016 10:01

offline Krett12

Why not?

#4: 11 Feb 2016 05:15

offline Jacob

Administrator

Krett12 wrote
Why not?

The source code is proprietary because we do not want other people copying it or misusing it.

Jacob G.

#5: 11 Feb 2016 17:26

offline Krett12

The same could be said for Mod Share which you released. You trust me right? Please?

#6: 12 Feb 2016 05:23

offline Jacob

Administrator

Krett12 wrote
The same could be said for Mod Share which you released. You trust me right? Please?

Mod Share is a community-oriented project, though. This is a place where we provide our software.

Jacob G.

#7: 12 Feb 2016 05:57

offline Krett12

Still doesn't address the point. It doesn't matter what you used the site for as much as what it actually IS.

#8: 12 Feb 2016 07:53

offline Jacob

Administrator

Krett12 wrote
Still doesn't address the point. It doesn't matter what you used the site for as much as what it actually IS.

However, given the nature of this website, we are keeping the code private. Please stop asking for the code, we are not going to provide it.

Jacob G.

#9: 12 Feb 2016 12:10

offline Krett12

I stopped asking for it a while ago, I was asking other things, e. g. why the "nature" plays a role in this at all

#10: 12 Feb 2016 13:11

offline Jacob

Administrator

Krett12 wrote
I stopped asking for it a while ago, I was asking other things, e. g. why the "nature" plays a role in this at all

The fact that Mod Share is a community website means that it is designed as a place for people to interact and communicate with each other, and it was a website where everything was completely transparent, so releasing the source code helped people improve upon it. However, FST serves as a platform to distribute our software, which is a different goal, and releasing the source code doesn't help us further that goal.

Jacob G.

#11: 12 Feb 2016 14:49

offline Krett12

Yes it does, because it could be one of your softwares

#12: 12 Feb 2016 16:01

offline Jacob

Administrator

Krett12 wrote
Yes it does, because it could be one of your softwares

A fair amount of our software is also proprietary, though.

Jacob G.

#13: 13 Feb 2016 04:43

offline Krett12

Yes, but all of *that* was just alternatives to something else I could find. This isn't.

#14: 13 Feb 2016 07:29

offline Jacob

Administrator

Krett12 wrote
Yes, but all of *that* was just alternatives to something else I could find. This isn't.

There are plenty of website frameworks out there, and you're welcome to program your own. However, to preserve the fact that our website is a FST project (and exclusively a FST project), we are keeping it proprietary.

Jacob G.

#15: 13 Feb 2016 08:47

offline Krett12

But lots of other fst projects (such as Insanity) are open source.

Index » Suggestions » Can I have the code to the whole website? (Atom feed)

Pages: 1

Embed topic (Show)